Sunday, September 16, 2012

Beastly


Holy fuck, are you ready to fall in love with an obscure bit of punkified metal from the bullshit state of New Jersey? This gem was released in 1983 on the great Mutha Records, the concern that brought the world the brilliant Chronic Sick EP Cutest Band In Hardcore. The Beast were often associated with the Metal scene due to their contributions to the early Megaforce comp Born to Metalize, and while The Beast's material on that record are decent enough, they are by no means as awesome as the four blazing tracks on this EP. In fact, this isn't too far from what Chronic Sick were laying down. The opening track "The Beast" is the band's mission statement, it establishes The Beast as a no bullshit crew of leather jacket wrapped Jersey toughs who simply don't give a fuck, but can still lay down the hooks. This becomes more and more evident over the course of the next three songs. The secret weapons here are the absolutely charm slathered vocals of Scott Ruth. The guy is Danzig without the fanboy horror nerdisms, Rollins without the Manson/Jim Morrison affectations, but still remains Scott Ruth, Long Branch badass wise guy. Seriously, my words can't do this justice. This is one of those rare records that almost makes you ache this band didn't record more material. The amazing Devil Dick over at The Devil's Music Blog wrote a great and informative piece on The Beast and Mutha Records here, I'm going to shut up now, my ramblings shouldn't keep you from this bit of genius any longer.

16 comments:

Sid Sings (1979) said...

Well they certainly look the business.

Scott Ruth went on to Ripping Corpse whose Dreaming With the Dead album I really need to hunt for because it slays and I haven't heard it in an age. So I'm really going to have to listen to this one too.

Devil Dick said...

Cheers!

I've been in touch with one of the members and i'm currently trying to track down some fabled "live" tapes and other studio tracks!

stay tuned!

devil dick

Perpetual Strife said...

who knew Jersey would spawn anything besides Kevin Smith,Roschach, and DxAx?

Thanks for this

Unknown said...

Yay, mr. Hearse is back! I was getting worried :)

Stephen said...

I think this file might be corrupt.
It's a total shame because your write up had me foaming at the mouth to hear this.

Unknown said...

The singer puts this one above the rim. Those comparisons are appropriate.

Good to have you back on the web.

Rawky Roze said...

I didn't even think something from this era could be SO simultaneously HM and HC - absolutely superb. As for Mr. Ruth I think you honed in on his style pretty well, I'd ad one comparison though: Keith Morris without the nasal anti-war whine (at least on Radical Man).

Rawky Roze said...

Also - great to have you and my favorite daily routine back! Long live the hearse! Great meeting and hearing your crazy Hickey story in Montreal.

Daniel said...

Welcome back to your own blog! Let the good times roll!

Clambeard said...

I was not ready to fall in love, but I did. I really did. THE BEAST!

Clambeard said...

I fell in love with THE BEAST!

Darryl Whalen said...

hey hearsy

i see how you are, you little blogcock tease

you get us all horny and worked up, go away for months, come back and dangle your little blogcock in front of us for a week, get us all worked up and then leave us hanging again

you little bitch

hope all is well, dammit!!!

winston95 said...

Great record. Makes me proud to have spawned from the Garden State. Glad to see the blog back up and running!

the wizard said...

Hickey story from Montreal? Tell me more....

(also - this rrrrrips)

Appius said...

are the jazz posts coming back too? I followed this blog for the jazz.

. said...

J'admire votre bannière en haut de page
cool